VBScript encrypter and decrypter
This site allows you to encrypt and decrypt vbscript files.
.vbs file to encrypt it, upload a
.vbe file to decrypt it.
The encoding Feature, which is provided with every Windows Version,
is often used to hide code in malicious scripts,
so the desire to decode (or decrypt) is only natural.
Running encrypted files
An encrypted vbs file can be launched directly in windows
if it is has
.vbe file extension.
If an encrypted script runs into an error,
it still shows the line number from the source script in the error message.
Only publish encrypted files if the decrypted version has been tested.
Detecting encrypted files
You can check the file name extension,
which should be
.vbe, instead of
As an alternative you can open the file in a text editor.
The content should start with
==^#~@ plus a "null" char,
which is not visible in most editors.
If you need a script to play with,
you can download this
This extracts and runs Rick dangerous
but you obviously are not required to run the script to test the encrypter.
If you want to, you can make a script on your own.
Just open a plain text editor like windows notepad,
and save the file.
Make sure the file name ends in
and you select "All files" in the type drop-down.
© 2017 by AyrA
This encryption type has severe limitations you have to be aware of:
- No official decryption function: The encryption was not developed by me but Microsoft and is part of every Windows system with the VBScript engine. Windows does not offers you a way to decrypt scripts and only provides the encrypter.
- Static key: The file is encrypted using a static key. Encrypting the same file on different machines and versions of Windows will always yield the exact same result.
- No obfuscation: The encryption preserves everything, including comments and variable names. It is a simple text transform.
- No security: When running an encrypted script, a decrypted copy is put into memory and run. Every application with memory access to the scripting engine can grab the original content from memory.
- No integrity: The encrypted script can be changed and will still decrypt.
- 7-Bit ASCII only: The encrypter will simply not encrypt anything outside of the original ASCII codepage and will just copy the upper 128 chars to the encrypted script, making it unusable. This decrypter will attempt to recover these.